黄运南 - 新加坡水彩与油画家 Singapore Online Watercolour Oil Painting Class, Workshops and Discussions by Ng Woon Lam NWS. American Watercolor Society and National Watercolor Society International Show participating artist. Winners of many international art juried shows awards. Showed in Florence Biennale 2003.

Monday, March 26, 2007

Observation Painting Tips

Ng Woon Lam
Observation Painting Tips
Seeing is a dynamic behavior. To explain this, I use this simple e.g. here.
When I look into a dark place, my eyes start tuning to observe in the dark. Slowly, I am able to see more things. Then I suddenly move my eyes to a very bright place, I could not stand the brightness because my eyes are still tuned for the previous dark space. Again, slowly, I am able to adjust for the light. This scientifically proven behavior of eyes explains the dynamics of tonal observation. And, for colors, eyes work the same way.
When I stare at a piece of RED hot object, if I close my eyes, I see a blue/green pattern of the subject. My brains adjust to the complementary color to balance the shock of hot RED. Therefore color observation is also dynamic. So the question is 'Am I sure what I am seeing?'. My answer is 'NO'.
Many art teachers and art academy force students to observe 'EXACTLY' when they paint. I am not against that. This helps students to see more variation. However, every art students should know this basic TRUTH that they are not trying to 'MATCH' the color exactly. It is a training to search for colors and tonal structures and add them to one's visual dictionary.
In addition, sun light luminosity is about 10,000 times strongest than the BEST and the brightest painting material in the market. There is no way to duplicate the type of luminosity of direct lighting. Watercolor paintings look more luminous on computer screen than the original because computer screen is direct lighting while looking at paintings we are seeing reflected light. Sun light is even more luminous compared to computer screen.
So what do I do to show my observation experience. Generally, I paint brightest for light and paint darker for dark space. I key higher in chroma if I want the color to be brought out.
My rule is : Observe for variations BUT make decision for what my paintings need.




Blog tracker

No comments:

Google